Neuro Linguistic Programming
Everything you need to know
Being a doctor by training has enabled me to meet people of different calibers. I have travelled all over the world and attended many seminars but none of those seminars captivated me more than the Neuro-Linguistic Programming seminar. This experience has made me help a lot of people. I have changed the way people think about life. People have been appreciating my initiatives. Here is an except of everything I learned about
What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming?
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (or NLP) is basically the study of how the language and mind affects behaviors. This includes how to communicate apart from maintaining rapport not only with one’s self but with others also. Neuro-Linguistic Programming is simply the art of mirroring, modeling and re-framing.
All of us are aware that most salespeople are always successful. What makes them successful is their ability to communicate effectively with people. NLP plays a great role in teaching people to get the results that they so much desire
The importance of Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- NLP teaches people how they can use their minds and make positive changes that will generate opportunities and possibilities in their lives.
- NLP is useful in creating positive habits, resolving inner conflicts, motivating action as well as shaping feelings. Examples of NLP include therapists who are able to impact about the past on patients, teachers who transform poor spellers into skilled ones or even trainers who can improve performances of athletes and musicians.
- NLP enhances all aspects of life by improving your relationship with your loved ones, learning how to teach effectively, greater motivation, gaining stronger senses of self esteem, enhancing your career or business and understanding how to communicate and everything where the use of brain is required.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming can improve your life in the following ways:
- Your income will improve dramatically because you will change your beliefs
- You will get the results that you want and you will never settle for less
- You will be able to create rapports with others quickly and easily
- You can break unwanted patterns and habits by doing a clearance on the root cause
- You can improve your relationship with other people
- You can eliminate emotional charges that always hold you back
- You can positively create your future by ensuring that all your dreams are realized
Presuppositions of Neuro-Linguistic Programming
Neuro-Linguistic Programming makes several presuppositions. These presuppositions or assumptions are beliefs that people always find useful in effecting changes to themselves, their lives and the entire world.
Here are a few examples of those assumptions;
- Communicating isn’t just about what you are saying, you must listen also
- Nobody is broken or wrong. People can work perfectly together and accomplish whatever project they intend to complete
- People have all the resources that they need to succeed
- Behind every behavior there must be a positive intention
- All behaviors are useful in one way or another
- Good communication is dependent on the response that you get
- If you are not getting they kind of response that you expected, try something different
- There is nothing like failure. The feedback is all that matters
- Having a choice is much better as compared to having no choice at all
- The map isn’t the territory
- If somebody can do something, anybody can learn it
- It’s impossible not to communicate
Although Neuro-Linguistic Programming has a lot of strong points, it has its limitations as well.
Here are a few of them:
- In psychology, the metaphor ‘computer as brain’ has already been discarded. Literature indicates that the brain can basically be described as a mind that has associative networks, information and nodes. NLP is therefore not perfect
- The observations of Neuro-Linguistic Programming were hypotheses. Like everything in science, all hypotheses including Neuro-Linguistic Programming must be scrutinized scientifically. Research indicates that NLP hasn’t stood the scientific rigor. There have been many reviews that have disapproved this model
- There is also a perception that NLP is all about trickery and influence as far as marketing is concerned. One of the reasons to justify this is that NLP was adapted and sold. It ion claimed NLP stopped being ‘a technology’ and that is has been by-passed with time
- Most of its techniques have clinical values. NLP has limited techniques that are unsuitable in most clinical situations. NLP is capable of changing what someone thinks at a particular moment but doesn’t have the power to change the situation